Friday, December 01, 2006

Does This Look Swollen?

Dudes, you know when you're like tobogganing down a hill with a bunch of your friends around, and you're feeling crazy? And you're messing around and you start to do crazy stuff, like taking sleds down slides, like a bobsled track down the tube slide. And you know how you cool runnings down the tube slide on the big sled and come flying out the end, and the you like fully smash you're face right into the end of a big log? No? oh, I guess it's just me.



Yep, that's my broken face after doing just that. Face plus log equals blood and pain. This happened only hours ago, and here I sit to bring you the news; I should get an award, and not a Darwin award like you might be thinking. I didn't even see the stupid log, it was a good fifteen feet away from the end of the slide. (No Tasha, you may not post exactly what I know you are thinking). YOu know what the worst part is. You know nobody plays on that stupid log, it just sits there not getting used, waiting for some unsuspecting bob sledder to happen along it. There's no kids yelling, "Last one to the elevated log is a rotten egg!" or, "Yeah! Let's go play on the elevated log!" Why? Because it's a freeking elevated log. Elevated to the exact height of a face that used to be attached to a body laying on the ground, I might add.



So anyway, now my face hurts, and my nose may be brken. Maybe I'm just paranoid but it doesn't look straight anymore. I can feel the constant swelling, as is to be expected. Obviously it hurt when it happened, I might have even blacked out for a moment, concussion maybe. But it didn't hurt afterwards most likely because my face was really cold. There was a second after when it didn't bleed, but then I felt the first drop dribble out and then it was over, a spatter of crimson in the pale snow. Still I was able to laugh it off, as if Cassie wasn't doing enough laughing for us all. But now that my face has thawed, here comes the pain. Tomorrow morning is not going to be pretty. So I've iced my face once and that felt heavenly, but now I can feel it swelling again. It's like I'm wearing an ice mask.



Afterwards I really wished smeone had a camera and had gotten it on tape, because if you're getting your face smashed you might as well get it on video. That would have been the number one video on YouTube, for real.

Well, at least if my nose is broken, I'll have a sweet story to tell everybody in my old age, back when men were men, and sledding was sledding. Peace.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say that that is fairly rough and I wish that I could have been there for some sledding action. You know that it happens to that best of us. Also another benefit to this situation is that if you gave it a year or so this could make a great club talk if you related it to something relavent. The answer to your possibly retorical question, yes, I think that may be swollen.

Kyle Turner said...

who's that?

Hannah said...

Kyle!! I did the same thing last christmas day so I am TOTALLY sympathizing with you! I was trying to impress my cousins and smashed my face straight into a metal pole. Blood and snow are quite dramatic looking when mixed eh? I broke my nose and had 2 black eyes. I'm so sorry, but it makes you awesome, and you're right, its a sick story. PS You have snow? You're BC! Ontario has none yet! And yes....perhaps jumping IS my spiritual gift, its certainly not sledding that's for sure!

Good to hear from you friend. Feel better soon! xoxo

Candice said...

Yes, Kyle. It looks swollen. Silly boy... Hopefully you'll learn for next time to look for obstacles at the bottom as I'm sure you'll try it again. :o) The only time I remember hurting my nose was on the trampoline. I was just learning to do flips and somehow I smashed my nose into my knee. I don't think I broke it, but it's now flat in that spot...
Thanks for the comments on my blog... sometimes the comment boxes feel a little lonely!
Off I got to study...

Martin said...

That's funny, Kyle. Well written. You sure got me and my wife laughing good. I hope all's well with you.